DSK

Default Towing

Frank and Ronnie Maier wrote:

The 3500# number was me. The original poster asked about 2700#; and my
assumption was that we were talking about being wet and on the
trailer, so 2700# would put him way below his vehicle's tow limit. If
that's just the empty, dry hull weight, then you're correct that
adding all that stuff is gonna increase the total weight a measurable
amount.

Righto, and I apologize for being inflammatory in my earlier post. Not intentional, just tact impaired.

Many people don't know how much the curb weight is for their rig, and have an exaggerated sense of towing
invulnerability. And published weight/displacement specs for boats is most often understated, sometimes by as
much as 20%. And in the case of outboards, it often does not include an engine.

Example, our small trailerable cruiser weighs 1600# dry weight, but the rolling package on it's way to cruising
weighs 2500# according to certified truck scales. Several people with this same boat have tried to tow it using
cars rated for 2000# and had a variety of not-so-good results.

I bet most trailer boaters would be surprised at the result if they weighed their boat & trailer & assembled
gear. Only costs about $3 and the information is very worthwhile.

Fair Skies- Doug King