Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Building your own home

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:03:49 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to build
a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has anyone in the
group done this and do they have any words of advice?

Haven't done it myself, but have you looked for a book called "Acting
As Your Own General Contractor For Dummies"?
Seems there's a book for everything.
I'd be most careful about the architect. You ever watch "Engineering
Disasters" on the History Channel? Make sure your architect wasn't
featured on that show.
After that, I'd make sure the weather was right. No building in the
rain or during a hurricane or tornado. It's ok to do plumbing once
the roof is up even if it's raining.
Stuff like that.
And some money stuff, like don't give Irish Travelers any money.
And make sure about bonding.
Those kinds of thing. It's doable.

--Vic