Frogwatch Frogwatch is offline

Default Dumb Q : Barnacle Scraper

On Dec 28, 9:02 pm, "David L. Martel" wrote:
Wilbur,

My intention wasn't to pick on the man, per se.

But that's exactly what you did when you wrote, "Here we go again!
Another negligent boater who ask for assistance on a topic that lends
credence to my observation that few sailors have any pride these
days."

You owe the OP an apology for your poorly worded or thoughtless attack on
him. He has not neglected his boat, which seems to be what you accuse him of
doing.

Dave M.

I've never seen Hubbard post anything of use to anybody and I doubt he
knows anything about boats. His assertion that only lubbers go more
than a year without hauling is so bizarre and out of touch with
reality, even in the tropics that I doubt he knows anything at all on
the subject.
I keep my boat in an extreme fouling area of Florida and I get 3 years
between hauling although I do scrub the bottom a few times between.
If you use her a lot you minimize fouling too. Several coats of good
hard paint applied well should last AT LEAST two years under extreme
conditions. The prop will need to be cleaned every month.
Using a long handled scraper is very common and the best tool is a
straight bladed garden edger similar to a garden hoe but it has a
straight blade. You can get one at Lowes or Home Depot. It is very
useful for standing in shallow water to reach your keel or for
reaching your prop from the dock.
Where I sail, I often hit bottom due to constantly shifting bars so I
often get patches of my hull with no anti-fouling and this tool has
enough mass that one can easily remove barnacles when this happens.
It has been my experience over several years that anything Hubbard
posts is pure nonsense so you should mostly ignore him except when he
tries to give bad advice.