Frank and Ronnie Maier

Default Towing

DSK wrote:
Frank and Ronnie Maier wrote:
I've towed my 3500# skiboat with a minivan for 20,000-plus miles.

That doesn't make it smart, or safe. Sorry, but if you were exceeding the GCVW then that's bad. I am
happy for you that you did not have an accident or shred some key drivetrain component.

Remember, the van not only has to get the trailer moving, it also has to stop it (although trailer
brakes help a lot) and steer it too. Check the owners manual, if you are exceeding the weight rating
then you deserve a big ticket and/or a busted tranny. Nobody wants you killing their family on the
highway with an unsafe vehicle.

Actually I'd suggest dropping at least 10% below the recommended max, especially for long distance
trailering.

Thanks for your concern; but I checked this out before I spent $26K on
this car. I'd rather be at the limit with a Honda or Toyota than 25%
below the limit with a Detroit product. And my family's vehicle safety
is of great concern to me, especially since my sister was killed in a
car wreck when we were young when we were hit by someone towing a
trailer. That's part of why I bought the Honda.

Feeling the need to use a F350 to tow a skiboat is like sailing a boat
with a full keel and low aspect ratio. Some people find it "necessary"
but it ain't my cup of tea.

So, you can shove your smug, supercilious attitude up your... pipe and
smoke it.

YMMV,

Frank (Speaking of which, my mileage is twice what my father-in-law
gets with his big Ford truck and I can fit in a regular parking space
when I go to the supermarket.)