Paul Sommers

Default Licences and/ or Quals for International Cruising

I just went on an offshore passage on someone else's boat as part of my
preparation for similar early retirement cruising activities. I chose
to sail with a captain who is someone manic on safety issues and I
learned a lot about how to set up a vessel for offshore work. Andrew's
point is well taken and the "training" can come in many forms.

Andrew Denman wrote:
Mate,

As far as I am aware, there are no formal quals required to do what you say
but I would certainly consider doing some type of training, particularly in
the area of shipboard safety.