Andrew Denman

Default Licences and/ or Quals for International Cruising

Mate,

As far as I am aware, there are no formal quals required to do what you say
but I would certainly consider doing some type of training, particularly in
the area of shipboard safety. FWIW, the AYF sea safety and survival course
is a crock of ****e. You are much better off doing a comercial course such
as you Master 5 or Coxswain that has elements of shipboard safety in it.
Having done both recreational and commercial training, I firmly believe that
the commercial training is better and really brushes up on areas that
cruising yachties tend to leave out. I would also look at a course in
celestial and offshore nav. Where in OZ are you located?

Hope this helps.

Andrew