Larry Larry is offline

Default How to cut a nautilus shell in half?

Marty wrote in
:

I have a diamond blade for my bandsaw, it'll cut just about anything
on the planet. Kerf is about 0.050", you run it at about 4000fpm, yes
that's 4000. Pricey though, first you have to have the bandsaw, then
the blade. Blade goes for about 800 bucks,,, but it does last a long
time.

Cheers
Martin

In the side of my old Air Force stepvan's steel walls with steel frames,
there are two 8000 Btu window airconditioners mounted to aluminum angle
brackets under each. We used a diamond wheel to cut the rectangle. It
melted through that steel like butter and the heat didn't seem to effect
the diamond-embedded ceramic blade, which got nearly white hot. Only took
a couple of minutes and we were using another wheel to smooth the edges to
a perfect surface to mount them. Amazing tools....very high speed.