Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default How to cut a nautilus shell in half?

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 13:26:03 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .

You just use a chain saw on light bulbs.
Nobody cares about how they come out.

--Vic

It's difficult to argue against such flawless logic. lol

I'm just a simple tool guy. Don't need that logic stuff.
You know, I spent some time searching for the right tool for the
nautilus job, and came up with squat.
Maybe I came to the end of the internets. Not the first time I was
foiled.
A thin high-speed abrasive disk would be my choice if it wasn't for
depth of cut. A large diameter one, preferably with a wider cutting
edge than body would be fine, if expensive.
A deep frame hacksaw with a round abrasive blade would work with a
steady hand. A proper holding jig is just as important as the blade
with this shell.
I did notice in searching that sellers of halved shells caution that
the inner chambers are usually damaged.
So they haven't got it figured out yet.

--Vic