Fishy Sailtail

Default Bahamas fees

I found a great website that talks about these ridiculas fees:

www.boycottbahamas.com

check it out

Sherwin Dubren wrote in message ...
Hi Jim,
I think all U.S. boaters should boycott the Bahamas for at least one
year. These money hungry politicians are probably pocketing the money.
They should pay us to go over there and spend our money in their shops,
restaurants, etc. I think we should also encourage the extension of
this
boycott to cruise ships, and tell all our friends not to cruise to the
Bahamas. I will stay in the Florida Keys where I can deal with the
people and government.

Sherwin Dubren

Jim wrote:

Very Important Update on fees for entering the Bahamas via pleasure vessels
. Effective July 1,2003 at 1200 hours, the fees for entering the Bahamas we
re increased as follows: $150 for vessels under 35'; $300 for vessels over
35' (up to 4 persons aboard. An additional charge of $15 per person over 4.
Children under 6 years of age - no charge.) These fees are for the vessel'
s cruising permit which is good for one year - a single entry - if you leav
e and return with the vessel you must pay fees again to obtain a new cruisi
ng permit.

We spoke to Ministry of Tourism in Marsh Harbour, Customs in Marsh Harbour
and Radio Abaco to confirm the aforementioned fees are in place. It was sug
gested that we express our opinions in writing to the appropriate officials
of the Bahamas or any organizations that may be able to voice our displeas
ure and comments.

We have had the following incidents reported which took place on 2 July. A
33' sailboat towing a 14' Whaler cleared in either at Spanish Cay or Green
Turtle Cay in Abaco and was charged $300 for his vessel and $150 for the Wh
aler - a total of $450. Since the vessel was 33', he should have been charg
ed only $150 for the mother boat. Apparently, they are considering your ten
der a separate vessel under 35' and subject to the $150 fee. The same happ
ened at West End - mother boat charged $300 and $100 for dinghy. No consist
ency in what they are charging at this time.