Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default N.Y. - L.I.S. - Ptown: "Best" way ??

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:13:35 -0400, "djmarchand"
wrote:

seaSon:

I did that trip last year. Here are some of our stops, not necessarily as a
single route:

Manhasset Bay; Oyster Bay; Huntington; Branford, Ct.; Essex, Ct;
Stonnington, Ct.; Newport, RI; Hadley Harbor (near Woods Hole); Onset.

I would add Cuttyhunk, Mattapoisett, Padanarum, as rental mooring
locations. in Buzzards Bay. Mattapoisett is close to the canal, so a
good place to wait if you are early for the tide.

If you want to travel only in daytime, you should look at the tide
tables for the canal, as well as the Race, and plan when you will be
able to go. The tide charts in the Eldridge are adequate for the
purpose.

Depending on the part of the cycle when you get to the Race, you may
want to transit Fishers Island Sound and exit the strait at Watch
Hill. The hourly current charts will make this clear.

You might want to stop at Block Island either going or returning,

You should monitor VHF 13 when approaching the CC canal. You will
hear the Canal Control communications with commercial traffic. You
will also get warnings about closing of the RR bridge.

Sandwich Harbor, at the eastern end of the canal,, has marina and
fuel-dock facilities.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

The sound of a Great Blue Heron's wingbeats going by your head