KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default Anyone have recommendations for a teak deck?

" wrote in message
Actually, that's something I would consider - just putting on glass.
I'm sure our local boatyard could handle that without problem. Any
idea what that would run?
I do like teak decks, though (the decks converted me - before I bought
the boat, I was anti-teak decks, but my wife loved the boat...). So,
having now had teak decks, I can say I'm not beyond sailing to Beliz
or some such place to get the work done. Thailand, though, is perhaps
too exotic.

Laying-up fiberglass is easy, not worth having a yard do it at their prices.
But it's also unnecessary as the teak overlay is not structural, and you
don't need to build up more glass to take its place. You'll need to fill
thousands of screw holes, and if there's any water intrusion into the core
you'll have to dry it out first and replace any rotted core, but you'll have
to do this even if you want to glass over it anyway.

There are many non-skid materials you can install on the deck after the teak
is removed if you don't want to go with the traditional sand or ground-up
walnut shells in paint methods. Treadmaster is a rubber and cork material
that's about as non-skid as you can get. Rather pricy, but it's another DIY
project that's not difficult to do.