posted to rec.boats.building
IanM IanM is offline

Default Opinion: Epoxy Source & Information

IanM wrote:
big snip
Put your legal disclaimers link on the top of EACH and EVERY article
page and your T&C on any page that even mentions a specific orderable
product, but for heaven's sake keep them OFF the top of the home and
index pages (you might wish to put them immediately below your company
blurb on the home page and also put them up with a check box 'I have
read and understood . . .' as part of the ordering process).

big snip

Paul Oman wrote:
big snip
PS - love the feedback! As suggested below, my lawyer wanted me to
have the 'click here' to proceed to the web site after acknowledging
the legal stuff. I thought that was a bit too much (only the giant
corporate web sites go to that legal extreme) and would turn off too
many visitors. I do try to improve and work on the site nearly
everyday, but of course product (epoxy) and service have to come
before web play.

We reckon you've put enough back into the boating community to deserve
our help. Any time you want to get opinions on new pages before you
link them to the rest of the site, just ask us.

I perhaps didn't make myself clear. The 'tick to proceed' should only be
when an order is actually being placed. Its *NOT* a seperate screen, but
just another box on the ordering screen. You could do it as a link to
your T&C and disclaimers, targetted to open in a new window so they dont
loose their place in the order form, next to the check box, but the
lawyer would prefer it inline. If your ordering process tracks user
ID's, put the full text up for their first order and if the T&C's have
been updated, otherwise just show the link and checkbox.

ON NO ACCOUNT put click to proceed on the home page, NO ONE except
lawyers will read it and it will **** people off even worse, but I'm
sure you already know that.

If I was doing business in the USA, I'd be listening *very* carefully to
my layer too . . .

--
Ian Malcolm, London, ENGLAND.