Rick Morel

Default 36-40' Offshore Capable Sailboat for $80k?

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:07:11 GMT, (Norm) wrote:

My wife and I are starting to look for another boat. We'd like to
find something between 36 and 40 feet that is capable of being safely
taken offshore.

One that doesn't come up often but is well suited is the Coronado 35.

There seems to be two opinions on the C-35 - It's a coastal cruiser
and it's a live-aboard ocean cruiser. Maybe both are correct. Maybe
the 3'8" shoal draft is the coastal and the 5'6" deep draft is the
ocean?

Anyway, until a few months ago, I lived aboard and cruised a deep
draft ketch for 2-1/2 years. About 4,000 NM cruising. We've made three
Gulf of Mexico crossings in everything from 2-ft seas to 20-ft + seas
and 60-kt + winds. Sure was glad when that died down! Oh yes, on each
we never touched the wheel - the autopilot took care of things from
close-hauled to following. On one, we outperformed and were less
uncomfortable than friends aboard an Endeavour 43! Plus they had to
hand steer. I read that Bill Tripp designed her for offshore
conditions and that she wants to porpoise a bit in a chop. I've found
this to be the case and a trade-off I'll gladly accept.

It's one tough vessel. The cast iron keel and the way it's attached
have gone though running hard aground on limestone with the only
damage to the limestone. Don't know if it's true or not, but I read
that the factory dropped one from 5' onto concrete as a test and there
was no damage.

More living space than the average 45-footer due to the flush deck
design; there is no trunk cabin at all. Minimum 6' 1" headroom. Lots
of deck space.

Not as much living room though as the Gulfstar 44. But then that's not
a sailboat, even the motorsailer version. A friend has one that I
"captain" a lot. It's a great "trawler" and a kinda', sorta' part time
sailboat. Doesn't point well at all due to the very shallow keel and
probably the "motorboat" hull shape. Very wet in even a little chop
and prone to roll. I'm not bad-mouthing it. In fact I'd love to have
one for live-aboard coastal and canal/river cruising. Mostly under
power, but sailing when practical. After all, it _IS_ a motorsailer.

Check out the C-35 at
http://www.morelr.com/coronado/

Rick

S/V Final Step