Trent D. Sanders

Default Newport 30 / Catalina 30 for ofshoresailing

Can't speak about the Catalina,,,,,, but I can about the Newport. No
way! And from what I saw, I wouldn't go offshore any farther than I
could swim.

Watched a guy [owner] in a boatyard fixing blisters on his Newport 30.
As he ground the fiberglass down to "good" glass he found that
whoever did the fiberglass layup when it was built left huge areas
where the resin didn't penetrate the fiberglass. He ended up grinding
all the way through to the interior, and had two areas where his
"hole" was the size of a basketball before he got to good glass. Cost
him nearly $20,000 to fix a $10,000 boat.

Go with an "early" [60's & early 70's] fiberglass boat when they
didn't know much about fiberglass so they overbuilt them with really
thick layups. Islander, Pearson, Cape Dory, Alberg, Columbia, Rosten,
etc.

T. Sanders
S/V Cimba

"jens teglman" wrote in message .ca...
Can anybody help me with the following.
We are new to northamerican sailboats, but have done a lot of sailing in
Denmark where the market a dominated by Swedish boats. We want to go from
Vancouver Island to Caribien and don't really know what is good boat for the
trip.Any tip or suggestion welcome
Thanks
Jim