Jere Lull

Default $#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard!

Steve wrote:

Before I installed my Harken roller furler, I had thought I would sail, for
a while, with a hanked on head sail. The jib halyard had the usual quick
change piston release shackle with a fancy lanyard for pulling the piston
pin when my fingers are numb.

Always a mistake. Halyard shackles should always be the positive locking
and captured type, and always checked a second or third time for proper
"lock" before hoisting. Had one go "sprong" on me on the last boat.
Luckily, the mast was easily dropped on that boat and the error corrected.

--
Jere Lull