Brian Whatcott

Default Battery question

Not familiar with this particular engine. If it has a
generator/alternator like the comparable Evinrude - this only
puts out a few amps - six tops, if I recall.

So if you feed two batteries in parallel instead of one, what's the
effect? I don't think it alters the 'strain' or load on the
generator. You won't be able to take more amps out of TWO
batteries than you can out of ONE if you rely purely on the OBs
generator to charge them.

So the real benefit of having two batteries is this:
If you charge them at home - you have twice the ampere hours for
use afloat, with the discharge rate slowed down a little by the OBs
generator.

That's probably a safe way not to get stranded without electric
power....
Some users with troll motors use seperate batteries for trolling - so
they retain electric start when the troll motor flattens its battery -
as it will just at the most awkward moment.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:19:10 -0400, "Belgian"
wrote:

Hi , i was wondering if there is any danger to fry the magneto of an
outboard 40hp Suzuki engine if install 2 12 volts battery in parallel .
I do use lots of 12 volt equipments on the pontoon, so i figured that 2
batteries would be better and last longer .Last year a battery died on me in
the midle
of the lake. I just bought 2 brand new marine ones .
would that be too much strain on the magneto ?
thanks for your help !