Steve

Default $#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard!

Before I installed my Harken roller furler, I had thought I would sail, for
a while, with a hanked on head sail. The jib halyard had the usual quick
change piston release shackle with a fancy lanyard for pulling the piston
pin when my fingers are numb.

When I installed the roller furler, I just attached the halyard with this
same shackle to the top of the furler swivel.

In retrospect, I should have taken that fancy little lanyard off.

While trying to unfurl my working jib today, that %$#@%*+! lanyard got
snagged on something, pulled the shackle piston pin and released the furler
swivel.

Down came the sail, fortunately but the halyard is lost, until I climb the
mast and retrieve it.

And to think, I have gone aloft with one of those piston type shackles
snapped into my safety harness.

I'm going back to standard halyard shackles.

Now to find a "mast monkey" to climb the mast or someone reliable to tend
the safety line while I go aloft.

Lesson learned.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions