MMC MMC is offline

Default dock box A/C mystery

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

either someone has been
deliberately turning off the A/C (not necessarily maliciously) or
something in the box is tripping the switch

When a breaker trips from overcurrent, it needs to be "reset" by pushing
it
into the off position, or pushing a popout button on some breakers.

You talk as if the breaker has just been switched off as you said nothing
about having to reset the breaker before turning it on.

Yeah, there was no resetting. It's either on or off, and the maint. guy
mentioned the "possibility" of it tripping. I think it's bs.

So, I'm thinking deliberately turning it off...saving the marina $$$, a
motivation unto itself.

They have no motivation, as far as my boat is concerned. The guy across
the walk from me is power hog many times over by comparison.

To turn the breaker off requires a finger to push on one side of the
breaker toggle handle. Coat that side with greasepencil lightly so it's
not very evident. Make the coat smooth so we can see that fingerprint of
the SOB that's flipping the breaker on you. That will let use at least
see
"SOMEONE" is flipping it off.

Office supply places also have a permanent staining red ink that won't
wash
off. It's available in non-drying printer's ink like they put on a press
with a roller. It takes months to "dry". You could coat the toggle with
that then casually watch marina people's fingers for the indelible red
stain....

I would do this, but I'll just end up with a red finger. LOL

I was thinking of getting a lock for the flip up cover, but I don't think
the marina would like that too much. I'm going to talk to my neighbor and
see if I can use his A/C connection for a while. He doesn't have anything
plugged in anyway. His switch was on when I got there... just mine was
off.

For the next couple of weeks, I asked the maint. guy to be kind enough to
check it from time to time, which he agreed to do. They don't have much
interest in having someone's bilge pump fail after a rain and end up with
a boat on the bottom.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

We had an issue with AC problems at our marina. When the demand was high,
certain 110v items wouldn't work or would work right - seems the power
thinned out to the rest of the boats on our circuit. Obviously I'm not an
electrician.
I might suspect the power hog guy you mentioned. Maybe his ceramic heaters
won't work will the wifes curling iron was plugged in and he decides your
boat doesn't need the power.
What about putting a lock on the box for just a few days? If it's tripped
when you open it you'll know.