Howard

Default Bahamas fees

The magnitude of the fees charged in the Bahamas (or other countries)
is, as one of you said, the business of the Bahamas. They will have
to live with the benefits and/or consequences of their decision. We
will have to decide whether we want to weather the increase or make
alternate choices.

The real issue that deters me from visiting is the attitude. This is
evidenced in a variety of ways, but the initial and most disturbing is
the inconsistency in the administration of the regulations (i.e.
determination of the fee). On my clearence into Governor's Harbour
the agent wouldn't even let me see the 'policy' to which she referred
(many times). Since this was my first clearance in, combined with the
arrogant and dictatorial attitude of the official agent and the
'unofficial' agent (on the porch), I was skeptical about the validity
of the fee charged. In addition, there was, in my opinion, a slight
of hand when the cruising permit was issued for a year but the
immagration was issued for only 7 days (with no mention made of this
technicality) (and of course, no mention made that the 'year' ended
when I left, even after 7 days, and then would have to re-enter).

All in all, it is not the fees (although an issue and deterrent) but
the 'world, particulaly the American world as explicitly stated on at
least two occasions, owes us..........'.

Yes, there is a lot to offer and reap in the Bahamas. But the
Carribean is a large place with many (friendlier) countries. And, our
boats and crusing ranges are getting bigger and bigger. I am tempter
to cruise right on by....

Of course, with the reduced tourist dollar they will have to
compensate with higher fees...........

Bye bye Bahamas.........

Howard