Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default dock box A/C mystery

Interesting... it was actually something the maint. guy mentioned (without
me prompting) saying that that didn't happen.

"Auspicious" wrote in message
On Dec 19, 9:09 pm, Larry wrote:
He's probably made an enemy on the dock.

More likely that someone has a heavy electrical load and is tripping
one of the main breakers at the distribution panel. The power pylons
are wired based on the assumption that not all pylons will be
supplying full power at the same time. I don't know what the
conventional ratios are; it would not surprise me if ten 30A outlets
are fed by a 100A distribution circuit. If someone is plugged into two
30A outlets (charger/house/water heater on one and heat pumps on the
second) and regularly drawing a total of 50As it wouldn't take very
many other smaller consumers on the same circuit to trip the
distribution breaker. Through a couple of electric heaters into the
mix and the loads get big.

I have wintered at a couple of marinas with home runs from each power
pylon to the distribution panels. The cabling under the docks was
truly impressive. In other places the winter liveaboards and frequent
winter boaters were redistributed in the slips to keep loads on
different distribution circuits. Even so we quickly figured out which
boats we could turn off power to on really cold nights. It's polite to
turn them back on in the morning however.

Just a thought.

sail fast, dave

--
"j" ganz @@