posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Nystrom Brian Nystrom is offline

Default Opinion: Epoxy Source & Information

Pirateer guy wrote:
That web site is the biggest reason I don't buy from them, and I know
Paul is reading this. I have tried several times to get to a simple
page with prices on it and waste so much time going around in circles,
I just buy it from someone else. I honestly consider it the worst site
on the web I've ever visited.
I'm sure his product is excellent and if I called him on the phone
he's give me the answers, and go to great lengths to help me out, but
most of the time I'm looking for answers on a Saturday or Sunday
morning, so I look on the web.
I also know Paul has helped many people on this forum in the past and
I always read his advice. He is professional, forthright and always
polite.
I was going to talk to Paul about his web site, but didn't know how to
go about it. Maybe this will have him take another look at it.
Then again, he might just tell me to go pound sand. It is his web site
and his company and he has every right to whatever he wants to.
Dan

Sadly, you're right. Short of adding gratuitous moving graphics and
goofy background music, the site couldn't get much worse. The layout is
confusing and visually, it's a major affront to the eyes. You don't even
know what company's site you're on until you scroll past the first
screen of poorly organized text. Who in their right mind starts a site
that sells products with a legal notice and an announcement that their
return policy is strictly enforced?

Simple, easy to use navigation is key to a successful website and it
amazes me how few people understand that. They end up designing sites
that mimic a pile of notes and scraps on a desk, rather than an orderly
document. No matter how good one's products and pricing are, if people
cannot find what they want - typically in 3-6 mouse clicks - they'll
simply go elsewhere as Dan did.

No business can afford to have a website that bad, especially in an
economy where you're working hard for every dollar and every customer is
critical.

Paul, if you're reading this, please go to Vincent Flanders' site
webpagesthatsuck.com and/or buy a copy of his book "Son of Web Pages
that Suck". His site and books teach good web design by showing poor web
design. When I built my own site, his guidance helped prevent me from
making many of the common mistakes that new web site builders do. It's
not difficult to do it better, it just takes an understanding of what's
involved.

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:12:00 -0600, Doug Siddens
wrote:

The following is my opinion of a good company. My affiliation is as a DIY end user. No recompense, no funny business.

I've been refurbishing our 1973 ketch and have done some epoxy work in that process. I've never worked with epoxy before this. I
talked to several local glass workers and researched on line to learn a bit about epoxy. I searched for different vendors and
their
prices. I settled on a place in New Hampshire called Progressive Epoxy Polymers. (http://www.epoxyproducts.com/main.html)

My first thought was, what a mess of a website. I found it very confusing. Since I first came upon it, there have been improvements
made to make it more "user friendly". Aside from that, the site is most informative to this beginning DIY'r. I was won over by
the
explanations, descriptions of chemistries, MSD's , suggested usages, and personal responsiveness of the owner and his wife. I did a
calculation of prices per ounce, approximating the match of the different brand's products. I realize that there is no way I
can say I'm
comparing the same chemistry of different brands. Nevertheless, Progressive Epoxy prices remain the best I have found.

I've used the Premium No Blush (~15 gallons), Low-V (~2 gal), a putty with kevlar, and some elastomeric stuff. In addition I've
used the fumed silica, micro balloons, ezy-thick, chopped glass & milled glass.

Progressive Epoxy Polymers is my epoxy source, I recommend them.