posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Zac is a cheater. I'm cheering for the British lad.

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:57:49 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
tanews.com...

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...
Captain Joshua Slocum is credited as being the first man to sail solo
around the world. And yet he took passengers aboard for day outings
during his circumnavigation. Oh, my! He didn't really sail "solo" at all!
Except that he was careful to, if I recall correctly, return his guests
to their point of boarding before continuing his solo effort.

If Zac accepted a tow to get repairs, his effort will still count as an
accomplishment as long as he returns to the point where the tow began
before continuing his solo. It would only be terminated if he was
attempting a non-stop circumnavigation and had to stop for any reason.

Good Lord, Karin! Talk about bankrupt logic. Using your logic, Zac might
as well sail to a starting point two miles off the coast from the
California marina where he started. Then he can be towed around the world
back to that very starting point then sail back in and he would then have
sailed alone around the world.

Wilbur Hubbard

You missed my point. He would have to return to the point where he accepted
the tow and then continue around the world on his own.

No! No! You don't understand! Wilbur (the Sage of the Sailors) is
always right!

To paraphrase the poet, "yours not to question why, your's but to do
or die". You see, if you don't it will cause Willie's tiny ego to
crumble to dust and he will become a non-entity.

You wouldn't want that on your conscience.... would you?
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)