Brian Whatcott

Default Which engine would you prefer??

On 16 Jul 2003 08:48:08 -0700, (brad) wrote:

Brian Whatcott wrote in message . ..
1900 running hours suggestds that overhaul time is due soon, maybe
very soon....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

1900 hours time for a overhaul? I am not a mechanic, but I thought one
of the reasons one would go with a diesel is for its reliability. If I
had a piece of equipment that operated 8 hrs a day, 1900 hours would
be about 237 days of
operation . Most of the machinery ( diesel powered ) at my work
operates 24 hrs a day. The equipment does get a service ( oil and
filter change) every 250 hrs of operation. What a huge liability if
they had to overhaul every 1900 hours.

It's pleasing to hear about long-life engines.
Used to be, recips used on light aircraft had a mandated overhaul time
- for most of them it was 2000 hours. Now its "on condition" like
jets....

Comparing auto engine lives:

You would like to make 150 thousand miles plus before tearing an auto
down (certainly we are making those numbers on a pair of econoboxes
we own.) If you averaged 40 mph long term - that would be 3750
hours.
But at the margins: the old carb fed auto engines sometimes gave up
after 100,000 miles (~2500 hours) of start/stop.

Around here, those same engines, fed LNG and with a little prep like
hard seats and valves and special rings etc., can go many seasons in
24/7 irrigation pump duty - more than 10,000 hours - and those aren't
diesels.

I personally wouldn't expect a 20 year old gas engine in a boat to
have done very many hours or to be up to much good, - but I could be
wrong.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK