Dave Erickson

Default Which engine would you prefer??

I installed a new Yanmar 3JH3E two years ago and just got back from a 5000
mile, one year trip to the Bahamas and back to Salem MA. We motored almost
all the way, down the ICW and back, early 1000 hours. Boat is an 1968 Apache
37 at 15000#. Prop is 17 X 12 three blade sailor.

The engine was great. Other than things I did to try and mess it up (flooded
four times due to faulty exhaust, fuel in the crankase due to incorrect fuel
line tightening) it performed flawlessly and tolerated my abuse. Quiet and
smooth enough, great mileage, nothing broke. Parts available everywhere.

Check the web page for details on the trip.

Dave Erickson
Apache 37 "Second Sojourn"
www.djerickson.com

To send email, remove the xx from my email address.

"Ken Coit" wrote in message
. com...
Presuming you were looking to buy a used boat, which engine would you

rather
see in her:

Remanufactured Perkins 4-108
New BetaMarine 1505
New Yanmar 3JH3E

These are all adequate to the job of pushing a 16000 # boat at hull speed,
so the question is one of your personal preference.

Thanks in advance,

Ken Coit
S/V Parfait
Raleigh, NC