Jim B

Default Which engine would you prefer??

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
om...
Brian Whatcott wrote in message

. ..
1900 running hours suggestds that overhaul time is due soon, maybe
very soon....

Funny, my Perkins 4 cyl diesel has over 2500 hours on it and runs
perfectly. It was made back in 1965 (no, I don't use it much).

Right, I forgot - it's in my tractor. Seems an engine changes when
it's in a boat. Or perhaps it's the lack of maintenance.

Any well maintained diesel fed clean air & fuel, run under proper
load, should last pretty much forever. 2000 hours is nothing.

Peter Wiley

My 1987 Perkins 4.108 is still going strong at 5,250 hours. It's had new
crankshaft oil seals at both ends at 3,500 hours, 100 hour oil changes all
its life. It's starting to rattle a little, but still gives good power
shoving 10 tons along at 6kts with 2,500 rpm. It runs in a cramped, hot
little engine room with poor ventilation, and above 3,000 rpm (rated at
4,000 max, 3,500 for commercial use) rattles rather louder. Tappets are OK,
so I think the little ends are beginning to die.

So they don't run for ever, but 5,000 hours plus in an ill ventilated
cupboard isn't too bad.
--
Jim B, Yacht RAPAZ,
Summers in the Med, winters in UK