posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Zac is a cheater. I'm cheering for the British lad.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...
Captain Joshua Slocum is credited as being the first man to sail solo
around the world. And yet he took passengers aboard for day outings
during his circumnavigation. Oh, my! He didn't really sail "solo" at
all! Except that he was careful to, if I recall correctly, return his
guests to their point of boarding before continuing his solo effort.

If Zac accepted a tow to get repairs, his effort will still count as an
accomplishment as long as he returns to the point where the tow began
before continuing his solo. It would only be terminated if he was
attempting a non-stop circumnavigation and had to stop for any reason.

Good Lord, Karin! Talk about bankrupt logic. Using your logic, Zac might
as well sail to a starting point two miles off the coast from the
California marina where he started. Then he can be towed around the world
back to that very starting point then sail back in and he would then have
sailed alone around the world.

Wilbur Hubbard

You missed my point. He would have to return to the point where he
accepted the tow and then continue around the world on his own.

All I did is reverse the tow and the sail making it ludicrously obvious that
unless one sails the whole way around the world one is not sailing around
the world. You can't snip out a chunk here and a chunk there of the voyage
and claim those chunks don't count. You haven't completed your voyage unless
and until you go the entire way by yourself under your own motive power.
This is so obvious. Only other cheaters and shirklaws would claim otherwise.

Wilbur Hubbard