[email protected] LoogyPicker@gmail.com is offline

Default 2008 Yamaha F150 - How long should it take...

On Dec 19, 11:21*am, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:07:20 -0500, John wrote:
...for water to come out the pilot hole with ear muffs attached once the
engine has been started and is idling at about 700rpm?

Yesterday I was about to fog the engine. I put the muffs on, got a good
supply of water going, and cranked the engine. After a minute or so, and no
water from the pilot hole, I shut it down.

I called the dealer. He said to connect the hose at the flushing
attachment, but not to let the engine get over idle speed. Then, he said,
remove the rubber caps on what appears to be the intake manifold and spray
into them. This is much easier said than done, and is totally different
from what the book says.

Also, anyone have a picture of the 'intake silencer' or the 'fogging hole
of the silencer cover'. I'm thinking the spray should go into what appears
to be the air box through the wire mesh on the inner portion of the box.

Help?

If you did what the dealer told you, you now need a new water pump
impeller. The flush hose fitting is to be used with the engine OFF, as
it supplies no water down into the water pump, which is ruined in
seconds by runniing without water.

Some engines also *require muffs that push water through BOTH sides.
Not all muffs do that.

With the proper muffs, set up correctly, there should be water from
the pilot hole almost instantly when you start the engine.- Hide quoted text -

In a minute, there is probably enough residual water in the pump so
that it would be fine. I've started my Evinrude many, many times
without any water running to it. just wanted to test the battery, make
sure it fired, then off. After probably a hundred times of doing this,
plus running for many hours fishing, etc. I changed impellers. It was
very hard to tell the 3 year old one from the new.