Brian Whatcott

Default Which engine would you prefer??

Hmmm 4 cyl vs 3 cyl: better take a look at this...

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/engine/smooth1.htm

Regards

Brian Whatcott altus OK

On 14 Jul 2003 14:04:33 -0700, (Jim Woodward)
wrote:

I have lived with the 4-108 for about ten years (twenty years ago) and
took the Yanmar's big brother, a 4JH, around the world in our Swan 57,
Swee****er. I'd pick the Yanmar in a second.

Among other things, a 3 cylinder has inherently less vibration than a
4. (In a three, the pistons are 120 degrees apart, while in a four,
they are 90 degrees apart, so that when one hits top dead center, its
mate is at bottom dead center.)

Jim Woodward
www.mvfintry.com

"Ken Coit" wrote in message .com...
Presuming you were looking to buy a used boat, which engine would you rather
see in her:

Remanufactured Perkins 4-108
New BetaMarine 1505
New Yanmar 3JH3E

These are all adequate to the job of pushing a 16000 # boat at hull speed,
so the question is one of your personal preference.

Thanks in advance,

Ken Coit
S/V Parfait
Raleigh, NC