Leanne

Default Which engine would you prefer??

"Bob Schneider" wrote in message
nk.net...
In the process of purchasing a 34' sailboat with a Volvo 30HP engine. Have
heard "not good" things about the Volvo. This one has 1900 hours and looks
to be in good shape, but have not seatrialed yet. What specific problem
areas should I look out for and what problems in the future should I expect?

My Volvo had close to 2000 hours before changing it out.. Twice in the previous
two years, it filled the lower end with salt water. I found that in rebuilding
it, the parts were made out of gold. It was a MD-11D and in ordering parts like
gasket sets, you had to order for each cylinder. Head gaskets alone were between
75-80 dollars. The water jacket/exhaust manifold was going to be over 500 if
they could find one. That was the reason for going to the 3GM30, besides having
a more modern engine, I have one that is very much quieter. I still have the
MS-7 transmission, Panel w/wiring harness, and the engine. I guess that most of
it is reusable if someone wanted it. The cylinders are also the same for the
MD-17 and probably the MD-5.

Leanne
s/v Fundy