Glenn Ashmore

Default Where to mount the BBQ grill

I was the designated chef cooking steaks on a charcoal Magma sailing
down 65W to Tortola in 18 knots once. Last night at sea and we were
cleaning out the frige. Other than loosing a couple of potatoes
overboard the exciting part was lighting the fire. Good thing the grill
was mounted on the starboard side. Otherwise it would have baked
everyone in the cockpit. After 8 days of Denty Moore and bologna
sandwiches they were some of the best tasting steaks I ever ate. :-)

Don't think I will be grilling much underway but I also don't want to
have to wrestle with mounting a grill everytime I want to use it. If
the Dickenson does not drip grease I think I will just mound it on the
transom rail. There is a lot of stuff mounted back there anyway (MOB
pole, life sling, fender rack etc) so the grill is not going to add much.

Jeff Morris wrote:
BBQ underway in heavy weather with waves slopping aboard? I'm glad I don't have the
t-shirt!

Most marinas I know don't allow grills to be used in slips. Where I am now there's a city
ordinance against it.

-jeff

"RichH" wrote in message ...

Best place to 'mount' a BBQ is in a LOCKER (with quick
connect/disconnect to a rail, etc.) .... cant wash overboard, isnt
always in the way, doesnt foul the stern with the usual "crap on de back".
A stern that looks like a floating yard sale is IMHO dangerous,
especially for a blue water boat - everthing you add to the stern or bow
results in additional tendancy for the boat to hobbyhorse and 'plunge'
in large waves. You definitely dont want to be hanging onto a stern rail
trying to save a BBQ when there is heavy weather and there are waves
slopping onboard - been there, have the tee shirt. On the other hand, If
you have a 'marina queen' whose primary function is dockside
entertaining, then it really doesnt matter where to put it .... side of
the mast, pulpit, pushpit, top of winch, etc.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com