posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Dave Brown Dave Brown is offline

Default ¿¿¿Winterizing a V-8 houseboat engine???

loonfellow@lakeside. wrote:

Yes, I'm leaving it in the water. I'm in GA though, so there's no
need to worry about the lake freezing. I do need to worry about
the motor filling up with lake water, or even filling to a certain
point though. It seems that if I fill it with anti-freeze, or even
50/50 then it would eventually become a pretty even mix of
water and anti-freeze throughout the whole system which would
be full and allow no more lake water to come in, prevent any
pockets of just water which could freeze, and keep gaskets
etc from drying out.

What you may need to worry about is your sea cocks freezing and
splitting though. You need to isolate the engine from the sea cocks and
then winterize the engine, then you need to fill the sea cocks with oil
to save them (and your boat).

--
Regards,
Dave Brown