Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Whisker pole track & rivets

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:59:53 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Wouldn't stainless promote a galvanic response between the screws and the
two pieces of aluminum?

Presumably the Tef-Gel acts as an insulator/isolator just as silicone
does. The thing I like about silicone is that you can buy it
anywhere, it is inexpensive and works very well. I first learned the
silicone trick from a professional rigger who installs hundreds of SS
fasteners into aluminum every year. He said that he'd never had a
problem with corrosion and I haven't either since starting to use it.

Basically, they're substituting Teflon for silicone, because they claim that
silicone will evaporate?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com