Kurt P. Herzog

Default Building Hartley TS-16

(Gvido Bratina) wrote:

I'm confused about how to join the two pieces of a frame. The plan and
the book tell about gluing and nailing the plywood gusset over the
butt joint. What size and how many nails per gusset should I use? Also
the butt joint used to join the two pieces of a frame seems a bit
week. What do you think?

Regards,

Gvido

I built a Hartley TS-14 30 years ago. I joined the frames with 1/4"
thick plywood gussets, both sides. The frames were about 5/8" thick.
I glued the gussets with resorcinol (use epoxy these days) and nailed
them with 3/4" bronze boat nails. Seemed plenty strong to me, and
still strong after 30 years.

.. . . Kurt

Kurt Herzog

Grants Pass, Oregon