Ron Magen

Default White Oak epoxy lamination

Mike,
To date I've only used Oak as a stem, and that was a 'glue {epoxy} and
screw' operation.

From what my research indicated, a 'glue only' procedure is similar to using
Teak or other 'troublesome wood. A good wipe-down with an Acetone or Lacquer
Thinner dampened cloth immediately before applying the epoxy/filler mix.

I agree, that there is a different coefficient of expansion/contraction
between woods. However, in a multi-layer lamination situation, the epoxy mix
will separate the different layers, plus there is the greater ratio of
epoxy-to-wood to consider.

As a thought, of the 'belt & suspenders school', I would consider using
'through-and-through wood pegs as both stabilizers and 'decoration'.

Because of the possibility that the wood COULD separate along it's own
structure {rather than at the actual epoxy joint, I would make up some test
samples. BOTH 'pegged' and 'unpegged' of at least 3 feet in length {long
enough to actually have enough wood 'movement pressure'.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{PS - one of my projects for a re-furb job, is to make an Oak-Mahogany
Tiller of about 3 feet in length. I'm guessing a 'blank' of about 3 x 2
inches - with 1/8 in lams. Maybe even 4 inches - enough to take care of the
'rise'.}
"Mike Brannon" wrote in message
Greetings group, I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with epoxy
glue and white oak. I'm building several laminations here of thin white

oak
to form frames, sheer clamps, stem etc. and I recently ran across

something
in print that warned of glueing up oak in such a manner. So far it has

been
trouble free for me but it seemed appropriate to ask the knowledge base at
this forum of their experiences before proceeding at full speed.

best regards, Mike Brannon,
24 foot gardner designed power dory in progress.