[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Whisker pole track & rivets

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:50:26 -0800 (PST), joost
wrote:

I am investigating the best way to fasten a 4 metre long alu t-track
for my whisker/spi pole to the alu mast.

Currently I have a short length of track (1 metre) which is fastened
with SS screws. I am not satisfied with this, because the screws react
with the aluminium of the mast and dissolve the thread. The track
comes off. I also find it quite difficult to drill and tap the holes
in the mast accurately sitting in a bosun's chair.

My question is whether it would be better to fasten the track with SS
rivets dipped in some isolating compound. At least I wouldn't have the
problem of the tiny threads corroding away and loosening the
fasteners. Also I think that I have a bit more tolerance for drilling
the holes + I can reuse the existing worn out holes to put the rivets
in (instead of tapping one size up).

But, how strong is it compared to screws?

And, how would I go with off-the-shelf T-track which is made for
countersunk heads?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Joost.

Next time, tap the holes to make threads for machine screws. Mount
using SS machine screws coated with TefGel.