Frogwatch[_2_] Frogwatch[_2_] is offline

Default Adding bow roller and other thoughts

On Dec 10, 4:28 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:59:32 -0600, Richard

If there is a good samson post and a decent fairlead for the chain, a
bow roller on a sub 30' yacht is a luxury that wont make recovering the
anchor significantly easier without a windlass.

Baloney.

My very petite wife could not get the anchor up without the bow
roller. With it, she manages quite well, even when we need to make
more than one attempt to get a good set. Bow rollers are relatively
inexpensive and make a substantial difference.

True enough.
But mounting one solidly is not a job for a newbie.

That is quite another subject.

In a warm climate, a bimini is an absolute must. This is not a matter
of convenience, it is actual safety equipment to prevent you from
getting melanoma.
I put an anchor roller on my 28' boat and rarely use it, not
necessary.
Roller furling is really nice but sail her a lot before you do. Then
buy a CDI furler and install it yourself.
Best thing to buy is a set of the auto-inflate lifejackets, a strobe
for each and an EPIRB that attaches to one of them. Nobody will tend
to wear a regular life jacket in any heat whereas they will wear the
auto-inflate ones. Be sure you get ones with a built in harness to
attach to jacklines.