Gary Warner

Default Leaky 1958 Chris Craft - Suggestions ??

This is a 22' foot 1958 Chris Craft Sea Skiff.

One of the problems on our first day launch
this weekend was a trickle leak. It's occuring
where the bottom-most plywood strake meets
the keel.

The leak is not so bad that it's a safety issue
but it's just something that if I can fix I'd really
like to.

So a few questions:

+ I'm assuming that running calk or anything
simmilar along the *inside* part of this joint
won't really help. Is that right?

+ If the answer is to run calk from the outside,
do I have to remove the fasteners from that
bottom most board and get the calk between
it and the keel?? Or can it be done (and work)
without removing the fasteners?

+ What calk should be used? I think that
this vintage Chris they used something
simmilar to 3M's 5200.

OK, thanks!
Gary

For those that missed my other post, pics of this boat are at:
Restoration: http://tinyurl.com/spsv
First day: http://tinyurl.com/4coae