Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.[_3_] Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.[_3_] is offline

Default Gates of Kiev

John wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:47:18 -0500, Boater wrote:

There are many themes in Russian music that are based upon folk tunes,
are nationalistic and are used by numerous composers. There are also
tonal similarities in the pieces you brought up.

Pictures at an Exhibition was written by its composer for solo piano. As
such, it is among the most difficult to learn and play collection of
piano pieces in the repertoire. I don't much like the Ravel
orchestration. I find it heavy and overwrought.

The best recordings of the piece *as written* date back a few decades to
performances in the old Soviet Union by Russian piano superstars. This
modern young fellow ain't bad, though:

http://www.serg.vangennip.com/www/piano.html

In fact, he's very good, and he is playing the piece *as written* by
Mussorgsky. It's best not to listen to solo piano music on super
high-tech speakers. They tend to be without...warmth.

I am not cultured enough to prefer Pictures at an Exhibition "as
written". I have always thought the piano version is nice, but
different, sort of "Pictures at an Exhibition Unplugged". Since the
music was written to be played at his friends art exhibit, it would have
been difficult to get an orchestra in the small gallery, so Mussorgsky
didn't have that option. If you look at Mussorgsky other compositions,
I would guess he would have enjoyed the heavy and overwrought
Orchestrated version. If there EVER was a piece of music that was HEAVY
and OVERWROUGHT, it is Night on Bald Mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_0GekZl7YA

I have enjoyed Night on Bald Music since I heard it in Disney's
Fantasia, and that when I thought it was written by Disney.

I am just a boorish uncouth type of guy who knows what he likes, and
would never know what music to listen to on high tech speakers and what
music to listen to on old regular speakers. On top of that you need to
about what decade the music was recorded,

I had no idea how difficult it is to be cultured and refined.