posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
loonfellow@lakeside. loonfellow@lakeside. is offline

Default ¿¿¿Winterizing a V-8 houseboat engine???

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 16:36:17 -0500, Dave Brown wrote:

loonfellow@lakeside. wrote:

pump finally stropped draining water, but the one on the
engine water pump kept on and on and on...to the point
that I don't see how the whole system could hold that
much water. Could it still be coming as I drain it out? If so,
what to do about that?

Is the boat still in the water? If so then yes it will keep siphoning
from the lake.

Then I guess I do need to fill it with anti-freeze and tighten
everything back up or it will fill back up with lake water?

Also, somewhere I got the idea that it's good to open the
system where the thermostat would go and fill it with
anti-freeze, to take care of pockets where water could
still be trapped and maybe even to keep gaskets etc
from drying out. Is that something I should do? If so,
would a 50/50 mix be good enough?

You should find what you need he

http://brownsmarina.com/tech-winter-inboard.html