Bob Bob is offline

Default Retrieving an overboard part

On Dec 7, 2:39*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
OK, I dropped the plastic furling drum (massive and heavy plastic
part) from my CDI roller furling in the water beside my boat at the
dock. *Water visibility is very poor and it is kinda cold although I
MIGHT be able to bear it. *Water depth is 10-12'. *I can locate the
drum with my very long boat hook but could not get it with a net tied
to boat hook or by using a metal loop and really cannot even tell how
it is oriented. *It is literally only 1' out from my finger pier
straight down. *A diver says he can get it next month although he
already tried but he looked in the wrong place (he didnt listen to my
directions well). *ANY ideas to get it sooner? *I am sure I will end
up going in the water and diving fro it but really dont want too. *I
hate diving deep cuz I cannot relieve the pressure in my ears.

A couple thoughs from a former oilfild diver.........

First, some idiot said wear ear plugs. Dont! I wont boar you with a
lecture about diving physics and preasure/volume

Next, 12 feet is NOT deep. at one time I was making working free dives
to 90+ feet. But that was 30 years ago. It can be done if you find the
right person.

Last, Dont hesitate if you really need somthing to recoverd. Even a
slight current will roll it long gone. Get a real diver not some kid
with a paper sign taped to the gate at your marina that says "Diver"
Sport scuba divers are a joke regardless of howmany gizmoes he has
hanging off his breathing apperatus..
But that will cost ya more than the part is worth. But then you ll get
it back. Your best bet is drag it up with a pool net. I would say
spend 1-2 hours doing that then go buy a replacment part.

Stop smoking for a month
Go to your swimming pool and beging exercizing your eustation tubes
and learn to clear your ears.
If you can fly, or drive over a moutain pass say 1000' gain elevation
then you can clear your ears in water.
Ya cant call water cold untill 60 F
Man up and do it. ON the other hand ya cant fix sisy.
Bob