posted to alt.sailing.asa
Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Propeller walk

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message
What is the primary cause of propeller walk - torque or thrust?

Propeller walk is a term used to describe the results of the bottom of the
propeller operating in a more dense environment than the top of the
propeller. The primary factor is neither of the above. Drag, due to the
propeller's interaction with a denser medium, is increased at the bottom
half of the propeller. A prop turning clockwise as the vessel proceeds
forward as seen from astern will cause the vessel's stern to move to
starboard due to increased drag. Whereas thrust in a vessel is a description
of fore and aft forces, prop walk is a description of transverse forces
caused by drag differential.

I hope this helps clarify what is a muddled discussion point in most cases -
especially where I do not deem to impart my brilliance.

Wilbur Hubbard