Skip Gundlach

Default 12V refrigeration

Hi, Doug, and thanks for the bounce.

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
I have a 12V DC belt driven setup. Based upon the size of the

The one I had in mind (I saw pix of the setup, mounted on a breadboard; the
shaft went directly to the compressor) was direct, not belt, driven.

pulley on the motor and compressor, a direct drive system
would seem to be rather tricky. My motor and compressor are
both 3/4 HP. Draws 50A when running.

50A is a *BIG* load. How long does it run per cycle, and per day,
typically? And, does that include the water pump, or is that an additional
load?

Another alternative I've seen, though it's a bit of an around-the-barn
approach unless one is hooked up to shore power (recall from other
discussions I really don't want to be running engines, whether propulsion or
generator if I don't have to, and this would require an inverter). That's a
washing machine or other similarly cheaply acquired motor with appropriately
geared pulley driving the engine-driven compressor which has been set up
with two/double pulleys and a means of quick-change on attitude so as to
relieve the engine belt and engage the AC belt. You get the same output as
with the engine but without running it. Ideal, perhaps for marina dwellers,
but perhaps a bit of a kludge for everyday cruisers on the hook for days at
a time, but not really long term. That, of course plus the accumulated draw
with the inverter and pumps might be in the same ballpark as yours...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize
that you are quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to
you that in the general scheme of things you are merely an
insignificant speck on the surface of the ocean; and are not nearly
so important or as self-sufficient as you thought you were. Which is
an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one that may effect a
permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly appreciated
by your friends." - James S. Pitkin