posted to alt.sailing.asa
Marty[_2_] Marty[_2_] is offline

Default Possibly a major flaw in sailboat design?

Charles Momsen wrote:
In contemplating sailboat design I think I have found a fundamental flaw,
that when corrected should yield a great improvement in sailboat
performance.

The flaw is that the keel is put before the rudder. I believe this legacy
continues in modern designs because of accident.

The rudder rightfully belongs in front of the keel, not behind it for
reasons that shall become obvious upon further reading.

Firstly, think of cars and motorcycles. Are they steered by rear wheels?
Mostly not and with good reason, the steering is better done by the front
wheels.

It depends on what you wish to accomplish, there are many vehicles with
rear wheel steering, usually relatively slow moving, (and aren't
sailboats relatively slow?) like forklifts and other machines that move
material and require great maneuverability.

Cheers
Martin