Stephen Baker

Default Tell me where the quality control went

Keith says:

Yea, nobody wants to pay for quality.

raises hand
I do! I do!
/raisied hand

Seriously, I will pay much more for a good quality product than for the "just
about do it" alternative.
I went to college to learn yacht design in 1978, and bought good quality tools
for the job. I'm still using them (when I HAVE to draw by hand...) That
includes mechanical pencils as well as curves, etc. My "daily driver" pencil
is now 26 years old, and still (gasp!) accepts the same 0.5mm leads it did when
new. What amazes me most is that the standard 0.5mm lead is still available -
they haven't changed it to 0.55 just to increase pencil sales. ;-)

I calculated once (comparing notes with a past employer) that I had saved about
$50 per year by not buying the cheapo 6-month-if-you're-lucky pencils he was
using.

Steve "cheapskate"
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm