Rick Tyler

Default First time pitfalls......

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:46:27 -0400, Jonathan
wrote:

As one panel has to be duplicated, I have decided to cut it out once,
then copy the pieces to the other panel. I then plan to clamp the two
identical pieces together and sand them so they are *exactly duplicate.

Been there. Done that. Wasted the time. If they are the same to
some reasonable level (1/4" bumps and hollows) the epoxy and
fiberglass tape will cover all your sins. Don't over-do on the
woodworking. This took me about three boats to figure out -- it's not
cabinet making and epoxy-and-glass covers a world of small errors that
would have a furniture builder adding to the firewood pile.

I plan to leave the lines when cutting. When they are clamped together I
will then sand the package back to the line on the first piece. It has
been my experience when tracing that the second piece winds up a little
bit bigger than the original. If one were to take a third copy off the
second piece, the difference between the first and third would be
noticeable.

If you really want identical, cut the first piece as carefully as you
can, carpet-tape another piece to it, and then cut out the second
piece with a router and a laminate-trimming bit. I've done this with
a Boy Scout Troop build which required 14 identical bottom and 28
identical side pieces. In retrospect, it was too time consuming and
we could have just let the boys trace the master on their plywood and
then cut it out with a small circular saw. Save your energy for
sanding. Lots of sanding.

I would appreciate anyone sharing any first time goofs that they can
remember (and bear to share).

There isn't room on the Worldwide Web for my mistakes.

This is a link to a wooden boat I did extensive repairs to a few years
ago, a Carl Alberg design built by Graves in Marblehead, MA.

Don't confuse S&G dinghy-building with wooden boat building. It's not
worse, it's just different. It can also be faster.

Have fun.

- Rick Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian