William R. Watt

Default Stitch & glue, cable ties?--build time?

Jonathan ) writes:

I'm curious as to why you might think that? (That it will take more
than two dedicated weeks)

I don't know that it would take quite that long, but you can see under
"Boats" on my website (address below) a example of a project plan I did
for a small boat with Microsoft Project 97.

Actually I am more curious as to what pitfalls you see me stumbling into
that i can't see,( still having the blissful veil of ignorance).

getting the hull lined up in all 3 dimensions is one.
getting things cut out and put together right way 'round and right side up is
another. (you are working at least part of the time on an upside down boat)

the usual estimate is half the time for the plywood, the other half for
the rest (gunwales, seats, oarlocks, etc.), and then the sailing rig is
extra if you want to sail the boat. seems all of the little pieces have
to be cut at some angle other than 90 degress to fit the curved hull.

I'd suggest getting the basic hull complete and then finishing the rest
off as you use the boat. I'm still making changes to boats I built 4 years
ago.

As I think about it, there is the obvious, i.e. scheduling boat work is
best accomplished by estimating the time required, then multiplying by
2.5, so that you will only be short by 30% of your estimate

but are there any common pitfalls that I might avoid with a few
suggestions/pointers by others?

still Harold Payson can cut out and build a 16 foot Windsprint
"instant" sailboat hull in one afternoon with the help of an assistant.
screw and glue construction is faster because the screws hold everything
togther while the glue cures so you can keep right on working without
having to stop a day and wait for the glue to harden. Payson used nails.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm