Rick Tyler

Default Stitch & glue, cable ties?

On 24 Jun 2004 05:34:49 -0700, (Backyard
Renegade) wrote:

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote

Yes you can [use cable ties for S&G boats].

With all due respect to Evan I have another opinion to share. You can
use plastic ties but don't. Go to home depot or such and get some 7
strand copper ground wire, or a couple of packages of 18 guage copper
wire, cut it into 4" pieces and fold them over so they look like "U"
nails.

(snip)

Scotty's several dozen S&G boats ahead of me, but I think copper sucks
for stitching boats together. I use hefty cable ties, and when I need
to loosen one up, I do what Scotty says -- I snip them off and put in
a new one. I find that copper either breaks when I twist it with
pliers, or, if I use thick wire, pulls out of the plywood. It also
stabs me in the fingers so often I feel like I've been playing with
barbed wire or blackberry vines.

Who makes better trucks: Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Toyota? Ask four
people, get four answers. All of them will get the job done. Same
with stitches.

Jacques Merten's tech support web site has some good "how to" articles
for beginners. Check he
http://bateau2.com/content/section/5/28/.

Have fun. You can't build just one!

- Rick Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian