Matt Langenfeld

Default Stitch & glue, cable ties?

You can go that route.

Here's how I do it (I'm sure not everyone will agree). Keep in mind I
just do kayaks and canoes.

I do "tack welds". The hull is stitched together and then I apply a
small amount of filleting material on each side of the cable tie and let
it cure (don't forget to precoat the weld areas with some resin).

Then I cut the cable ties/stitches and remove. Fill in the holes as you
fillet the seams.

You have to be careful doing this as the tack welds will crack if you
shift the hull. That's why I'll only do this process one seam at a
time...tack weld, remove stitches, seam fillet, glass, and then repeat.

It's some extra steps but it's how I prefer it.

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Jonathan wrote:
I am about to embark on building a 10 ft stitch and glue dinghy, a Dudly
Dix, Argie 10.

I would think this has been asked, but so far I haven't found it. Can I
use those plastic self cinching cable ties to hold the panels together
until I glass them? I would think they would sand off more smoothly
than wire?

Any thoughts?

Jonathan