posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce in Bangkok[_9_] Bruce in Bangkok[_9_] is offline

Default glassing panels indoors

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:16:14 -0600, "clark"
wrote:

The plan, build a flat bottom river boat using plywood and covering it with
fiberglass and epoxy'
The idea, cover one sheet of plywood at a time in my shop, leaving about 1
inch bare on each edge to screw the panels to the frames, then tape all the
joints and seams after the boat is put togather.
This way I can work thru the winter months, move out doors in the spring
and put it all togeather.
What do real builders think?

Why leave the edges bare?

In building dinghies I use a computer generated lofting program and
cut the panels to shape; cover with epoxy and fiberglass; wash and
assemble.

I use epoxy to both cover the panels and to glue the panels together
and then tape the seams.

If you do it this way be sure to wash the panels to remove amine blush
that could result in weakened glued joints if not removed.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)