Glenn Ashmore

Default Lead Shot needed

James Johnson wrote:

The shape of the external ballast is about 4' or so long, around 8" high, and 8"
wide with a 1" centerboard slot making it look like a stretched 'U', so cautions
about alloys for fins (with their high bending loads) I don't think would apply.
I was going to pull the keel anyway to inspect/replace the keel bolts because of
the amount of rust at the hull joint.

I would still go for at least 50% wheel weights. As I said pure lead is
very soft and if the external keel is bolted on, the normal movement
will wallow out the lead around the bolts/washers and cause the
keel/hull joint to open. 50% wheel weight lead mixed with miscellaneous
scrap will insure you get 1.5 to 2% antimony and harden it up enough to
prevent that.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com